The Quality & Risk Management Consultant will be responsible for assisting with the coordination, implementation, and evaluation of all aspects of processes related to patient relations, occurrences, patient safety, emergency measures, and risk management at Sault Area Hospital. This may include corresponding and meeting with patients and their families to resolve concerns, managing data including the collection, reporting and quality assurance of data related to patient relations, safety incidents, and legal claims, and acting as a resource and liaison for other staff within and outside of the Department.
1. Meet and correspond with patients and their families to facilitate resolution of concerns
2. Consult on the patient concerns process, facilitating investigation, response, and resolution.
3. Track patient concerns and compliments, identifying improvement opportunities and areas of strength.
4. Provide advice and guidance on service recovery, risk management principles, and root cause analysis, and act as a resource for departmental/program staff.
5. Coordinate the incident reporting process including administration of the electronic incident reporting system.
6. Coordinate potential and actual legal claims and defense preparation activities.
7. Provide input on policy development and improvements to the Hospital’s quality and risk activities.
8. Provide support to improvement initiatives as required.
9. Support the Hospital’s Accreditation process, Patient Safety Strategy, Emergency Measures Committee, and Quality Improvement Plan.
10. Undertake research on standards, journal articles, best practices, lay materials, and other resources as required.
11. Facilitate the assessment of information and resources for validity, reliability and usability and incorporate into programs or initiate changes as appropriate.
12. Prepare reports related to departmental/organizational activities and continuous quality improvement initiatives.
13. Help develop and implement systems to ensure timely satisfaction of customer needs within available resources.
14. Collaborate with subject matter specialists, resource personnel, department heads, and supervisors.
15. Develop, maintain, and deliver education / resource materials on quality and risk management topics as required.
16. Prepare and analyze statistics, reports, and briefing notes, and using reasonable judgment take appropriate action.
17. Develop linkages and maintain regular communication with other departments and good public relations.
18. Monitor performance and compliance with established policies and procedures.
19. Assist in orientating, educating, and training assigned staff on new and revised policies and procedures.
20. Develop cooperative and productive team relationships within the department/organization fostering a climate of teamwork, compassion, excellence, and integrity.
21. Participate and assist with quality improvements and other departmental and/or organizational practices.
22. Navigate and apply relevant legislation including the Excellent Care for All Act, Quality Care Information Protection Act, Public Hospitals Act, Health Care Consent Act, and so on.
23. Other duties as assigned.
1. Bachelor’s Degree in Law, Business, Health, or a related field.
2. Membership with related regulatory body, if applicable, in good standing
3. 3 years’ experience addressing client / patient / customer concerns in a health care environment or related field
4. Customer service, interpersonal and telephone skills.
5. Computer literacy in a Microsoft environment.
6. Confidence and effectiveness in group presentations and facilitation.
7. Analytical and problem solving skills.
1. Ability to meet and interact with people in a pleasant, professional, responsible, and reassuring manner.
2. Ability to work effectively and efficiently as a collaborative team member in a fast paced environment in stressful situations.
3. Ability to maintain successful working relationships with the interdisciplinary team to achieve positive patient outcomes.
4. Ability to organize time effectively to perform the duties of the position.
5. Ability to read, write, and communicate to perform the duties of the position.
6. Knowledge of risk management principles, root cause analysis, and quality improvement methods.
7. Ability to interpret and apply hospital policies.
8. Demonstrated behaviour consistent with the hospital’s Standards of Performance and ICCARE values.
Note: Because of the changing nature of the work and work to be done, other responsibilities and duties may by assigned and qualifications may be adjusted from time to time. Only those selected for testing/interview will be contacted.
Apply Online at www.sah.on.ca/careers
POSTED: November 28, 2022, 16:00 hours to December 5, 2022, 16:00 hours
Sault Area Hospital is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity, equal opportunity and maintaining a barrier-free selection process for job applicants. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the requirements for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known to the Human Resources department when contacted. All requests are handled confidentially.