About the role
UK or any country where we have an International Office
FUNCTION OF DEPARTMENT
Supporting clients to improve health and humanitarian outcomes for citizens in low- and middle-income countries. Contribute to the success of Crown Agents by delivering profitable business results and building Crown Agent’s reputation as ‘go to’ provider for high quality and inclusive health systems strengthening health supply chain and humanitarian solutions.
MAIN JOB PURPOSE
Reporting to the Technical Lead – Quality and Accessible Services, this is an exciting new senior role within the Crown Agents’ global health team that will support the Technical Lead to deliver a growing portfolio of programmes under this stream of work. The position holder will work collaboratively with other principal consultants within the broader health team to ensure synergies across programme delivery and business winning activities ensuring that we are embedding climate and health, health supply chain, and digital health into our delivery programmes.
The role will work closely with in-country delivery teams ensuring that programme delivery meets a high standard of technical quality, delivering value for money and meets and exceeds expectations both in terms of programme outputs, outcomes and client satisfaction. This will include acting as Programme Director on key delivery projects.
The role will support the Technical Lead in the development and implementation of the quality and accessible services strategy with a particular focus on primary health care service delivery. Areas of focus will include but are not limited to community health, immunisation, malaria, nutrition, NCDs, NTDs, WASH with the ultimate aim of demonstrating effective ways to integrate vertical programming into broader health systems.
The role will support the development of a robust pipeline of new opportunities, leading on the design of new programmes, grant/bid technical writing, client management, representing Crown Agents as needed.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES OF JOB
Programme Delivery (40%)
- Act as Programme Director for Crown Agents flagship health programmes.
- Provide short-term technical assistance as needed to other health programmes.
- Work with the PMO to ensure Quality Assurance, Risk Management, and M&E in all projects meet or surpass agreed development results
- As part of broader continuous improvement role, support and challenge to all project team leaders to meet or surpass agreed development results.
Business Winning (40%)
- Support the development of the quality assurance and service delivery strategy
- Work with the health programme team in Sierra Leone to build out a comprehensive BW strategy leveraging existing programme and future projects
- Lead significant health pursuits providing the full range of services – programme design, theory of change, bid writing, partnerships, staffing and commercial inputs
- For relevant programmes, participate in and provide technical input into identification, vetting, and negotiations with consortia partners.
- Build and develop (increasing our portfolio of work) relationships key clients working in the quality assurance, health service delivery space.
- Proactively generate new business opportunities, particularly with new funders, by helping clients identify and understand their vision/objectives for change
- Support and lead on business winning across department as appropriate e.g. writing technical sections, programme design, bid reviews, act as bid director as appropriate.
Technical Leadership (20%)
- Provide thought-leadership across areas of focus under the quality and accessible service delivery remit
- Provide technical inputs into service delivery programmes as appropriate acting as a technical reference point in HQ for programmes and other teams to come to
- Stay informed on global best practices and trends in primary health care delivery and ensure that they are incorporated into the delivery of existing and development of new programmes.
- Lead on the development of internal and external communications including technical briefs, journal articles, blogs, to underpin Crown Agents technical depth in this area.
- Contribute to other areas of technical expertise as appropriate.
- Line management of relevant staff, supporting them to professionally develop as required.
Raising Crown Agents’ profile
- Contribute and lead as appropriate the production of communications and externally facing products, such as community health research papers, and participate in “communities of practice” to remain abreast of latest developments, standards, tools, and methodologies within the sector.
- Establish and maintain close relationships and effective networks with our clients, partners and consultants, contributing to the marketing activities of the organisation and representing Crown Agents at a senior level to the external world.
- Act as a resource to Crown Agents to provide support on external relations, stakeholder engagement, external and internal comms, technical briefs, any other business
- Be aware of and compliant with all the standards following Safeguarding procedures and policies. Promote Crown Agents’ speak up culture to protect the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults
- Be aware of and adhere to company quality standards and procedures in accordance with Crown Agents’ commitment to working to the highest quality standards and striving for continual improvement
- Undertake international and national travel on consultancy and research assignments as may be needed
Where applicable, the Job Holder shall
- undertake all procurement in compliance with Good Distribution Practice (GDP) in accordance with the provisions of our Wholesale Distribution Authorisation (Human) (WDA (H)) issued by the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) and our United Kingdom Controlled Drug Licence issued by the Home Office
- ensure that all procurement is carried out using the relevant corporate IT system(s) in operation
Any other duties as appropriate to the position, as requested
- Typically Masters or equivalent professional experience in global health or related subject.
- Senior individual, able to demonstratable expertise in a minimum of one technical area of focus
- Substantial and demonstrable experience leading large health programmes focused on service delivery
- Experience of working with a wide range of clients and low and middle income country (LMIC) governments
- Management and leadership experience of a significant development contract within a multilateral, bilateral, consultancy organisation or NGO, with significant experience of being based in an LMIC
- Excellent understanding and proven experience of the practicalities of designing, implementing, monitoring and evaluating high quality health delivery programmes.
- Experiencing working in multiple country contexts.
- Demonstrated experience in technical grant writing and business winning strategies.
- Experience of engaging with a range of stakeholders (including but not limited to UK government, GAVI. TGF, USG, UN ministries, Foundations etc.)
- Excellent organizational and program management experience, including with staff work plans, budget management and monitoring and evaluation.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including the capacity to effectively handle a variety of relationships in a multicultural environment and negotiate with both internal and external stakeholders;
- Experienced in building partnerships/consortia for development and humanitarian funding as well as negotiation of programmatic contractual arrangements with partners.
- Understanding of programme operations, including procurement and distribution of health commodities
- Fluency in one or more languages commonly used in the countries where Crown Agents works is desirable.
- Familiarity with the latest global evidence and innovations in health service delivery, in LMICs and/or conflict-affected and humanitarian settings.
- Familiarity with technical concepts, best practice and programming spanning a range of issues in health service delivery
You’ll be working with Crown Agents which is a high impact social enterprise passionate about transforming the future for millions of people. Since our creation in 1833 we have worked across the globe to improve public services and drive economic growth. Our expertise is finding new solutions to difficult problems for clients in the areas of health, governance, economic growth, humanitarian action and supply chain services. We work with and train leaders at local, national and international level to achieve lasting change drawing on our insight and experience.
Crown Agents offers a competitive benefits package.
How to apply