About the role
FUNCTION OF DEPARTMENT
Supporting clients to improve health and humanitarian outcomes for citizens in low and middle income countries. Contribute to the success of Crown Agents by delivering profitable business results and building Crown Agent’s reputation as ‘go to’ provider for high quality and inclusive health systems strengthening, health supply chain and humanitarian solutions.
MAIN JOB PURPOSE
Reporting to the Director of Global Health, this is an exciting new role within the Crown Agents’ global health team leading and building out its digital technology for health portfolio positioning Crown Agents’ strongly in the market through ensuring that its programmes are delivering to a high technical quality, ensuring we are meeting and exceeding expectations both in terms of programme outputs and outcomes and client satisfaction, and ensuring that we are building out upon existing programmes resulting in a healthy pipeline of programmes.
The role will work closely with other technical leads to ensure that cross cutting areas such as climate and health, quality and accessible services, health financing, and health supply chain are appropriately embedded in its delivery strategies and will provide technical input as needed into those respective areas.
The role will develop and own Crown Agents’ digital technology for health strategy and will provide thought leadership on best practices and opportunities for innovation.
The role will build and deepen client relationships with a select group of clients, representing Crown Agents’ as needed.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES OF JOB
- Develop the digital technology for health strategy ensuring that it positions Crown Agents well in the market as a thought leader and draws on current programmes and other parts of the wider business as relevant.
- Support the integration of cross-cutting themes such as climate and energy, health financing, health supply chain into the delivery portfolio.
- Provide oversight of technical quality of programming in digital technology for health, drawing on internal and external experts as appropriate.
- Stay informed on global best practices and trends in digital technology for health and ensure that they are incorporated into the delivery of existing and development of new programmes.
- Develop and present technical briefings, journal articles, commission research as appropriate to underpin Crown Agents technical depth in this area.
- Contribute other areas of technical expertise as appropriate.
Business Winning (20%)
- Aligned with the health strategy, develop a business case that lays the foundation for winning new work in this technical area
- Win significant digital technology for health business to help clients (both national governments as well as international donors) run high performing, health systems.
- For relevant programmes, participate in and provide technical input into identification, vetting, and negotiations with consortia partners.
- Build and develop (increasing our portfolio of work) relationships key clients working in the technology space.
- Proactively generate new business opportunities, particularly with new funders, by helping clients identify and understand their vision/objectives for change
- Support and lead on business winning across department as appropriate e.g. writing technical sections, programme design, bid reviews, act as bid director as appropriate.
- Provide leadership to programmes with a digital technology component.
- Act as Programme Director for relevant programmes.
- Provide short-term technical assistance as needed to health programmes.
- Work with the PMO to ensure Quality Assurance, Risk Management, and M&E in all projects meet or surpass agreed development results
- As part of broader continuous improvement role, support and challenge to all project team leaders to meet or surpass agreed development results.
- Line management of relevant staff, supporting them to professionally develop as required.
Raising Crown Agents’ profile
- Contribute and lead as appropriate the production of communications and externally facing products, such as community health research papers, and participate in “communities of practice” to remain abreast of latest developments, standards, tools, and methodologies within the sector.
- Establish and maintain close relationships and effective networks with our clients, partners and consultants, contributing to the marketing activities of the organisation and representing Crown Agents at a senior level to the external world.
- Act as a resource to Crown Agents to provide support on external relations, stakeholder engagement, external and internal comms, technical briefs, any other business
- Be aware of and compliant with all the standards following Safeguarding procedures and policies. Promote Crown Agents’ speak up culture to protect the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults
- Be aware of and adhere to company quality standards and procedures in accordance with Crown Agents’ commitment to working to the highest quality standards and striving for continual improvement
- Undertake international and national travel on consultancy and research assignments as may be needed
Where applicable, the Job Holder shall
- undertake all procurement in compliance with Good Distribution Practice (GDP) in accordance with the provisions of our Wholesale Distribution Authorisation (Human) (WDA (H)) issued by the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) and our United Kingdom Controlled Drug Licence issued by the Home Office
- ensure that all procurement is carried out using the relevant corporate IT system(s) in operation
Any other duties as appropriate to the position, as requested
- Typically Masters or equivalent professional experience in health technology or related subject.
- Senior individual, able to bring good technical understanding of climate and health and a strong ability to think strategically and solve complex problems
- Substantial and demonstrable experience leading digital technology programmes, ideally with a health focus.
- Experience of working with a wide range of clients and low and middle income country (LMIC) governments
- Management and leadership experience of a significant development contract within a multilateral, bilateral, consultancy organisation or NGO, with significant experience of being based in an LMIC
- Excellent understanding and proven experience of the practicalities of designing, implementing, monitoring and evaluating high quality digital technology programmes.
- Experiencing working in multiple country contexts.
- Demonstrated experience in technical grant writing and business winning strategies.
- Experience of engaging with a range of stakeholders (including but not limited to UK government, GAVI. TGF, USG, UN ministries, Foundations etc.)
- Excellent organizational and program management experience, including with staff work plans, budget management and monitoring and evaluation.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including the capacity to effectively handle a variety of relationships in a multicultural environment and negotiate with both internal and external stakeholders;
- Experienced in building partnerships/consortia for development and humanitarian funding as well as negotiation of programmatic contractual arrangements with partners.
- Understanding of programme operations, including procurement and distribution of health commodities
- Extensive international health or climate programme management at senior management level on large scale or multi-country health projects in Africa or Asia
- Familiarity with the latest global evidence and innovations in digital technology for health, in LMICs and/or conflict-affected and humanitarian settings.
- Familiarity with technical concepts, best practice and programming spanning a range of issues in digital technology
How to apply