About the role
FUNCTION OF DEPARTMENT
Supporting clients to improve health and humanitarian outcomes for citizens in low and middle income countries. Contribute to the success of Crown Agents by delivering profitable business results and building Crown Agent’s reputation as ‘go to’ provider for high quality and inclusive health systems strengthening, health supply chain and humanitarian solutions.
MAIN JOB PURPOSE
Reporting to the Director of Global Health, this is an exciting new role within the Crown Agents’ global health team. The role will focus on leading and building out Crown Agents’ health and climate portfolio and on positioning Crown Agents’ strongly in the market. This includes ensuring that our programmes are delivering to a high technical quality, ensuring we are meeting and exceeding expectations both in terms of programme outputs and outcomes and client satisfaction, and ensuring that we are building out upon existing programmes to secure a healthy pipeline of programmes.
The role will work closely with the Director of Climate and Energy. Spanning across the Global Health and Climate and Energy practice areas, this role will bring together knowledge and best practice across the two portfolios. Within the health practice, the role will also work closely with other technical leads to ensure that cross cutting areas such as digital health, quality and accessible services, health financing, and health supply chain are appropriately embedded in delivery strategies and will provide technical input as needed into those respective areas.
The role will develop and own Crown Agents’ climate and health strategy and will provide thought leadership on best practices and opportunities for innovation.
The role will build and deepen client relationships with a select group of clients, representing Crown Agents as needed.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES OF JOB
- Develop Crown Agents’ climate and health strategy, ensuring that it positions the business strongly in this emerging market as both a thought and practice leader, including through drawing on the business’s existing strengths and capabilities in health, climate and energy, government systems strengthening, supply chain, and the wider business as relevant.
- Support the integration of cross-cutting themes such as climate resilience, low carbon health systems, climate compatible services for health facilities, sustainable energy access, health financing, health supply chain into the delivery portfolio.
- Provide oversight of technical quality of climate and health programming, drawing on internal and external experts as appropriate.
- Stay informed on global best practices and trends in climate and health and ensure these are incorporated into the delivery of existing and new programmes.
- Lead on climate and health communications, including developing and presenting technical briefings, webinars, journal articles, or commission research are required to underpin Crown Agents’ technical depth in this area.
- Contribute other areas of technical expertise as appropriate.
Business Winning (20%)
- Coordinate execution of the climate and health strategy through proactive business development, including through building relationships with key clients, building a network of partners, and monitoring market trends in climate and energy.
- Aligned with the climate and health strategy, work with the Crown Agents communications team to develop marketing materials that make a credible case for winning new work in this technical area.
- Win significant climate and health business to help clients (including national governments and international donors) transition to high performing, climate resilient health systems.
- For relevant programmes, participate in and provide technical input into identification, vetting, and negotiations with consortia partners.
- Proactively generate new business opportunities, particularly with new funders, by helping clients identify and understand their vision/objectives for change.
- Support and lead on business winning in climate and health as appropriate e.g. writing technical sections for proposals, directing programme design, undertaking bid reviews, and acting as bid director as appropriate.
- Act as Programme Director for relevant climate and health programmes.
- Provide leadership support to programmes with a climate and health component.
- Provide short-term technical assistance to climate and health programmes.
- Work with Crown Agents’ Programme Management Office to ensure Quality Assurance, Risk Management, and M&E in all projects meet or surpass agreed development results
- As part of broader continuous improvement role, provide support and challenge to other project team leaders to meet or surpass agreed development results in climate and health.
- Line management of relevant staff, supporting them to professionally develop as required.
Raising Crown Agents’ profile
- Contribute and lead as appropriate the production of communications and externally facing products, such as community health research papers, and participate in “communities of practice” to remain abreast of latest developments, standards, tools, and methodologies within the sector.
- Establish and maintain close relationships and effective networks with our clients, partners and consultants, contributing to the marketing activities of the organisation and representing Crown Agents at a senior level to the external world.
- Act as a resource to Crown Agents to provide support on external relations, stakeholder engagement, external and internal comms, technical briefs, any other business.
- Be aware of and compliant with all the standards following Safeguarding procedures and policies. Promote Crown Agents’ speak up culture to protect the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults
- Be aware of and adhere to company quality standards and procedures in accordance with Crown Agents’ commitment to working to the highest quality standards and striving for continual improvement
- Undertake international and national travel on consultancy and research assignments as may be needed
Where applicable, the Job Holder shall
- undertake all procurement in compliance with Good Distribution Practice (GDP) in accordance with the provisions of our Wholesale Distribution Authorisation (Human) (WDA (H)) issued by the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) and our United Kingdom Controlled Drug Licence issued by the Home Office
- ensure that all procurement is carried out using the relevant corporate IT system(s) in operation
Any other duties as appropriate to the position, as requested
- Masters or equivalent professional experience in climate and health or related subject.
- You will be a senior individual, able to bring good technical understanding of climate and health and a strong ability to think strategically and solve complex problems
- Substantial and demonstrable experience leading either climate and/or health programmes.
- Experience of working with a wide range of clients and low and middle income country (LMIC) governments.
- Management and leadership experience of a significant development contract within a multilateral, bilateral, consultancy organisation or NGO, with significant experience of being based in an LMIC.
- Excellent understanding and proven experience of the practicalities of designing, implementing, monitoring and evaluating high quality climate and /or health programmes.
- Experiencing working in multiple country contexts.
- Demonstrated experience in technical grant writing and business winning strategies.
- Experience of engaging with a range of stakeholders (including but not limited to UK government, GAVI, TGF, USG, UN ministries, Foundations etc.)
- Excellent organizational and programme management experience, including with staff work plans, budget management and monitoring and evaluation.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including the capacity to effectively handle a variety of relationships in a multicultural environment and negotiate with both internal and external stakeholders;
- Experienced in building partnerships/consortia for development and humanitarian funding as well as negotiation of programmatic contractual arrangements with partners.
- Understanding of programme operations, including procurement and distribution of health commodities
- Extensive international health or climate programme management at senior management level on large scale or multi-country health projects in Africa or Asia
- Familiarity with the latest global evidence on climate and health, in LMICs and/or conflict-affected and humanitarian settings.
- Familiarity with technical concepts, best practice and programming spanning a range of climate and health issues
- Strong understanding of and skills in social, policy-oriented and programming research, monitoring and evaluation, and quality assurance
How to apply